Design Thinking Courses at Openlab
Openlab offers courses based on Design Thinking for professionals in any field of work. Lay the foundations with our Design Thinking Intro course, and dive deeper into user understanding in our newest course Generating Insights for Innovation. The courses are held in Swedish unless otherwise noted.
Why learn Design Thinking?
Design Thinking as a method and mindset is becoming an industry standard for creative problem solving all over the world, and in all different industries and sectors. We invite you to participate in increasing your own and your organization’s innovation capacity by learning skills that are for all professionals, not only designers. Led through the process by our competent coaches, with several years of experience from product and service development and insight-driven innovation, you will be equipped to tackle complex challenges and solve problems, in your work and in society.
INTRO COURSE TO DESIGN THINKING
This is a crash course divided into two half day sessions. During these sessions you are introduced to Design Thinking both in theory and practice, as approach and as method, through real-life examples and hands-on exercises. You will work in interdisciplinary teams together with professionals from all kinds of backgrounds, from private to public sector and academia, creating opportunity for cross-pollination of minds and interesting discussions! It will be two fun and inspiring days that will help you internalize Design Thinking through learning-by-doing.
You will learn:
- Design Thinking as a user-centered mindset and action-oriented method to tackle challenges, create desirable solutions and drive innovation.
- Techniques to understand and gain deeper insights into your end users.
- Tools to synthesize insights about your end users and to generate and select ideas.
- How to rapidly visualize and prototype ideas, and quickly iterate designs.
Sign up for a course
Design Thinking Intro
CREATING INSIGHTS FOR INNOVATION [NEW!]
In the course GENERATING INSIGHTS FOR INNOVATION you will deepen your knowledge of the first half of the Design Thinking process where focus lies on learning more about your users and the problem that you want to solve.
During two full days you will learn the mindset, methods and tools that will help you to understand your challenge better – to empathize with your users, map out relevant dependencies and stakeholders, structure your findings, and analyze them in order to develop solutions that meet real needs.
You will be working with easy to grasp exercises and as well as real cases taken from your own organization and context. Our experienced coaches will equip you in how to set off in the right direction from the very beginning.
You work in interdisciplinary teams together with professionals from different backgrounds in this course. We encourage you to bring more people from your organization if possible, as you will test applying your knowledge in your own organization between course day one and two.
The course requires some previous knowledge of design thinking or service design. Previous participants of our Design Thinking introduction course will be first in line.
You will learn:
- The mindset and the skills that will help you to empathize with your users and understand their needs.
- Tools to map and understand the relation to other stakeholders and the surrounding systems.
- Helpful methods and tools for mapping what you already know, what you need to learn more about, and how to structure your findings and stories.
- Practical tools and skills such as empathy mapping, personas, and user journey mapping.
- An analytical systematic thinking to define what to focus on, i.e. to synthesize the findings and go from from insights and learnings, to opportunity areas.
Sign up for a course
Generating Insights for Innovation
February 4th & 8th, 2019 (canceled)
– We are always looking for new talents to join our team of design thinking course coaches. To know more, contact us at email@example.com
Who can participate?
The courses are open for you professionals working in organisations/academia/companies (sorry, not for private persons).
Design Thinking Intro course: Requires no previous knowledge in Design Thinking.
Creating insights for innovation: Requires some previous knowledge of Design Thinking, preferably from Openlab’s courses.
Design Thinking Intro course: Two half-day sessions, Wednesday and Friday from 8.00 to 12.30. Total class time: 9 hours.
Creating insights for innovation: Two full days, Monday and Friday, from 9.00 to 16.00. Total class time: 16 hours + 2-4 hours home work.
Openlab (3:rd floor) Valhallavägen 79 in Stockholm, next to subway station Tekniska Högskolan and bus station Östra Station.
Cost and billing:
Design Thinking Intro course: Price: 6000 SEK ex. VAT (ex moms). Discount price for Openlab’s founding partners: 5000 SEK ex. VAT. Included: Coffee, sandwich and smoothie.
Creating insights for innovation: Price: 14 000 SEK ex. VAT (ex moms). Discount price for Openlab’s founding partners: 11 200 SEK ex. VAT. Included: Lunches, coffee, sandwich and smoothie. [Special price, beta edition]
This course was exactly what I had hoped for, and more! Great exercises for understanding and explaining Design Thinking. Very competent course coaches, engaged and positive.
Intro Course participants, winter 2017