Why take Openlab’s Master’s Course?
Our Master’s course Challenges for Emerging Cities (15 or 7,5 Credits) is an interdisciplinary project course based on challenge driven innovation. You will learn and apply Design Thinking in order to develop solutions and innovations to a given societal challenge, on behalf of an external public sector client. You will work in teams with students from different universities, disciplines and backgrounds.
“I think this is the most useful course I have taken in my 5 years of studies. The creativity, innovations and solution-oriented approach is something I will keep as a core approach to my work going forward. Highly recommended!”
Former Master’s Course student
We provide a hands-on course that teaches design methods, project management and teamwork skills that will be valuable for your future work or academic studies. All this while you create solutions with the potential drive societal development in the fields of sustainable urban development, health, education and the ageing population.
- Learn and apply design methods and tools (Design Thinking) to create innovative solutions to societal challenges
- Learn and apply project management methods and tools (SCRUM) to an innovation project
- Solve challenges on behalf of an external public sector client
- Analyse complex societal challenges from an interdisciplinary and needs-based perspective
- Develop skills for working in interdisciplinary, international teams
- Develop skills for presenting an innovation or concept, verbally, visually and in text, such as sketches, prototypes, pitches, presentations and reports
- Develop a creative, visual, problem-solving mindset towards approaching challenges
- Develop and evaluate ideas for innovations with the potential to create lasting benefits and value or a specific target group
WORKING WITH REAL LIFE CHALLENGES
The challenges in the course are submitted by Stockholm City and Region Stockholm and origins from the four main areas: sustainable urban development, future healthcare, education and the ageing population.
Course days: Tuesdays and Thursdays
Start period: Period 1
Study pace: 50 %
Daytime: Tuesday, Thursday
Qualifications: 180 credits
Location: Openlab (Valhallavägen 79, 3rd floor)
Apply at Antagning.se / universityadmissions.se. Applications are to be submitted to one of the participating universities.
Please note that the course is registered with slightly different names depending on the university.
Course codes & contacts
KTH, Royal Institute of Technology
Course name: Innovations for the Emerging City, Openlab Multidisciplinary Project Course
Register via your study advisor. More info at kth.se.
Course syllabus: kth.se
Course name: Innovations for Societal Challenges: Multidisciplinary Project Course
Course code: SU-43623
Course information: su.se
Course syllabus: su.se